By Paul Kengor
while historians credits Ronald Reagan and Pope John Paul II with hastening the top of the chilly struggle, they've got didn't realize the intensity or importance of the bond that constructed among the 2 leaders.
Acclaimed student and bestselling writer Paul Kengor adjustments that. during this attention-grabbing publication, he unearths a unique bond—which incorporated a religious connection among the Catholic pope and the Protestant president—that drove the 2 males to confront what they knew to be the nice evil of the 20th century: Soviet communism.
Reagan and John Paul II nearly didn’t have the ability to forge this dating: simply six weeks aside within the spring of 1981, they took bullets from would-be assassins. yet their strikingly related near-death stories introduced them shut together—to Moscow’s dismay.
A Pope and a President is the manufactured from years of study. in keeping with Kengor’s tireless archival digging and his certain entry to Reagan insiders, the e-book finds:
- The within tale at the 1982 assembly the place the president and the pope confided their conviction that God had spared their lives for the aim of defeating communism
- Captivating new info at the try on John Paul II’s lifestyles, together with a previously unreported mystery CIA investigation—was Moscow in the back of the plot?
- The many similarities and the non secular bond among the pope and the president—and how Reagan privately observed the “DP”: the Divine Plan to take down communism
- New information about how the Protestant Reagan grew to become intensely attracted to the “secrets of Fátima,” which date to the suggested apparitions of the Virgin Mary at Fátima, Portugal, beginning on May 13, 1917—sixty-four years to the day ahead of John Paul II used to be shot
- A startling insider account of ways the USSR can have been set to invade the pope’s local Poland in March 1981—only to tug again whilst information broke that Reagan were shot
Nancy Reagan referred to as John Paul II her husband’s “closest friend”; Reagan himself informed Polish viewers that the pope was once his “best friend.” in case you learn this ebook, you are going to comprehend why. As kindred spirits, Ronald Reagan and John Paul II united in pursuit of a best objective—and in doing in order that they replaced history.
Read or Download A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century PDF
Best ideologies books
Reading the paintings of 1 of the main influential thinkers of the twentieth century, The Reluctant Modernism of Hannah Arendt rereads Arendt's political philosophy in mild of newly won insights into the historico-cultural history of her paintings. Arguing opposed to the normal interpretation of Hannah Arendt as an anti-modernist lover of the Greek polis, writer Seyla Benhabib contends that Arendt's inspiration emerges out of a double legacy: German Existenz philosophy, relatively the idea of Martin Heidegger, and her reports as a German-Jewess within the age of totalitarianism.
Makes an attempt by way of humans to enact their political views of their day-by-day lives became common in modern US tradition, in spheres starting from buying conduct to romantic attachments. This groundbreaking booklet examines how collective social routine have cultivated person practices of "lifestyle politics" as a part of their recommendations of resistance, and the tensions they need to navigate in doing so.
Parliamentary questions are a characteristic of virtually all nationwide legislatures. regardless of this, we all know little or no approximately how questions are utilized by MPs and what influence questions have on controlling the govt.. This quantity advances our theoretical and empirical wisdom of using wondering in a couple of varied parliamentary settings.
The Origins of the ultimate resolution is the main unique, cautious, and accomplished research to this point of the descent of the Nazi persecution of the Jews into mass homicide: the Holocaust. Arguing that genocide was once no longer a preconceived plan yet really a stumbled on danger, Christopher Browning explains how Hitler's choice to homicide the Jews en masse emerged in phases and by way of a strategy of removal that gently foreclosed plans for his or her expulsion from Europe.
- The Cameron Delusion
- Political Ideologies
- The Development of the American Presidency
- Military & Democracy Indonesia: Challenges, Politics and Power
Extra info for A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century
A Pope and a President: John Paul II, Ronald Reagan, and the Extraordinary Untold Story of the 20th Century by Paul Kengor